Sunday, July 15, 2007

Q: WHERE DID THE WIDGET GO?

A: It displeased me greatly. That, as my pal The Working Dead described it, "shiny" little box at the top left that portrayed the DVD covers of some films that were particular favorites of mine? Gone.

Why? Mainly aesthetic reasons. Chiefly, I could never get the sizing of the covers right to match the vision within my discerning eye, and also, the widget has a limit of 30 covers. So, despite there being around far more films in that file on my page at Spout, it would only show 30 of them, and only the most recent additions to the list at that. The worst part? It would not allow me to choose my list of "favorite films" from off of Spout, instead automatically setting itself to my "highest rated" films. These two lists, while only slightly exclusive of each other, are still not the same thing at all.

The worst is that the widget started to bother me after a while. I liked having something glowing and movable on my site, but the more I fretted over what films were and weren't on there, and the more I grew angry at the lack of choices within the program, the more the thing took on the odious and malignant air of Poe's black cat to me. I wanted to murder the increasingly horrid-seeming thing every time I checked in on my blog, and each glance at it brought the spectre of death ever close to the seemingly harmless (and free, I must add) "shiny" little widget.

And now, it is gone. Not for good; I will look into it again in the near future, maybe after I bitch for a bit about the program, and do some research to find out if there are indeed avenues to getting what I want in that same box. As long as it is free, of course...

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...