Friday, November 21, 2008

Dylan Goes Select-Rik: Shuffle Mode, Thursday Morning 11.20.08

Normally, the aural pathway on which I tread is paved solely with albums, and generally those of a single artist, but every once in a while, contrary to my nature, I need a little variety on the headphones. So it goes occasionally on my morning walks to work, on those rare days when I just can’t decide which album to give a listen. So I hit the ol’ Shuffle Mode, and roll with whatever hits the ears. Sure, sometimes I get a little shocked by what I hear: “Do I really have that on my iPod, let alone my collection?” or “What the hell is this???” When you have crammed over 16,000 songs onto an iPod (and it will get worse when I jump up to 160 gigs from a mere 80), you can often get lost in the mass of artists and albums. Especially when you drop on compilations or soundtracks, which you probably purchased for three or four songs at most, and you have never really become all that acquainted with the rest. Sometimes these surprises are grand, and sometimes they are a sign that you have a little more housecleaning to do.

Not this time. All of the songs yesterday morning were meant to be on there, compilation selections or not. It’s certainly a good first glimpse at what I have going through my head at any given time. You are going to notice a great profusion of Sifl and Olly and South Park bits interspersed with the actual music on these lists, and that’s simply because I threw them on the iPod to serve almost like crazed little DJs from time to time. Enjoy…

Talk! Robot is Better Than Olly – The Sifl and Olly Show
Manny’s Bones – Los Lobos
Hard Time Killing Floor Blues – Chris Thomas King
Broke In Two – They Might Be Giants
You Are the Sunshine of My Life – Stevie Wonder
Testify (Parts 1 & 2) – The Isley Brothers (live)
The Sun Goes Down and the World Goes Dancing – The Magnetic Fields
The Healer/Hip Hop – Erykah Badu
Soul Craft – Bad Brains
I Feel Good – Shirley & Lee
Good Times Rock ‘n’ Roll – The Young Fresh Fellows
Don’t Believe the Hype – Public Enemy
The Once Over Twice – X
Fools in Love/For Your Life – Joe Jackson (live)
TV – Maria Bamford (live comedy)
Lonnie’s Skiffle Party Part 2 – Lonnie Donegan

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...