Monday, September 13, 2010

Flickchart Comment #13: Miracle on 34th Street (1994) vs. Critters (1986)


OK, I have no love at all for the countless Gremlins ripoffs that haunted the late '80s-early '90s. That said, I have even less love for terrible child actors.

The original Miracle on 34th Street is my favorite Christmas movie - bar none. Yes, there have been several versions since, but the 1994 remake was the only one on the big screen, and thus, the one most likely to annoy the crap out of me. Which is what they did in this remake with the casting of Mara Wilson as the little girl, Susan Walker. I hadn't minded little Ms. Wilson in other roles (chiefly because I really didn't notice her), but this time, her execrable acting skills were brought too far to the fore to be excused. Yes, she was but a child, but you know how it goes... don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Add to this that they sapped whatever fun was in the original and then pasted a religious subplot onto the story, and I was kicking the seat in front of me for the full running time. Sure, Critters stunk (I do have friends that love that series), but the Miracle remake was straight from the pits of Hell. (If they existed...)

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...