Tuesday, October 31, 2017

There Must Be Some Mixtape: Track #13 – "Great Pumpkin" by Mikey Mason


Yeah, I don't believe in a lot that is spiritually based. But, as a fan of Halloween, I still believe in the Great Pumpkin. 

If Linus were my friend, I would probably be at the pumpkin patch with him regardless of whether I believed or not. Friends gotta stick to together, and Linus has a security blanket that he uses to perform pretty groovy tricks. 

Sure, Linus is a pretty religious kid; he can spout bible verses like no one's business. But Linus also has this weird, darker side where he sits in pumpkin patches while all of the rest of his friends, except for the girl who crushes on him, run about having varied success trick-or-treating. (One kid, I hear, only seems to get rocks in his bag...)

I don't have a lot of time left on Halloween to get this thing knocked out, but I wanted to round out my 2017 mixtape to a perfect 13 songs. I got a little behind here and there; as a result, there were a few songs I selected to be used for this year that I didn't get to yet, so I have decided to save them for next year's mixtape. (I own them, so I can listen to them all I want already. I just won't tell you what they are until then.)

So, for my last selection, I ran into a song a few days ago on a site called The FuMP, which stands for The Funny Music Project. The FuMP has been around for a few years, and specializes in promoting comedy and novelty records. New songs are featured on the site every week, the 128k versions of which you can download for free for a short while or you can always purchase the larger, prettier sounding 320k files of the songs. I check in to The FuMP now and then to see what new comedy music is out there, and was surprised to find a couple of pretty decent Halloween tunes that had recently been released on there.

My favorite of the pair was Great Pumpkin by Mikey Mason, a professional standup comic who also has released a couple of geek topic-based comedy albums in recent years. I have sort of missed Mason's music to this point, but I really like this track. Perhaps it is because it is directly about Linus' thoughts as he spends yet another cold, fruitless Halloween night waiting for his other personal deity to arrive. And yet, he never loses his faith throughout the song. No, really... he will be proven right... eventually...

This is the point where I normally post a video of the song from YouTube so you can listen to the song while you read the lyrics below. However, there is no video as of yet for this song on either Mason's YouTube channel or The FuMP's, and while there is an embed code on The FuMP official site for this song, Blogger tells me the code is incompatible with my own site. It is probably bullshit, and there is likely a workaround out there, but I don't have time right now. Maybe I will experiment with it tomorrow. Maybe not.

In the meantime, you can follow this link directly to the song's page on The FuMP: http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=2251. You can listen to it there or download it (for the moment).


Great Pumpkin by Mikey Mason

"Tonight
It’s gonna happen tonight
I’ve waited all of my life 
for this moment to arrive 

I’m here

I’ve suffered all of the jeers
The Halloween sky is clear
I’ve never felt so alive

You can have your trick or treating 

Keep your candy, you’ll be eating 
Crow tomorrow
Anyway

So go

I think you already know
You’re gonna reap what you sow
You think this all is just some story but… 

At last

All of October has passed
And here in the pumpkin patch
I’ll be waiting on his Glory

You can keep your masks and candy

I’ll be doing fine and dandy
As one of the anointed 
on All Hallow’s Day

[Chorus]

When the Great Pumpkin comes
I will be the one
who finally gets to laugh at all of you
who think I’m crazy
When the Great Pumpkin comes
shining like the sun
I will choose forgiveness over vengeance
Okay maybe
Maybe not. 

It’s here

And I can see it so clear
This pumpkin patch is sincere
and sincerely here I wait 

Each Halloween

Waiting just to be seen
Just like I am in my dreams
chosen by his orange greatness

While you’re at your parties dancing, 

Trick or treating or romancing, 
I’ll be waiting chastely,
prostrate in my fear… 

[Chorus]

When the Great Pumpkin comes
I will be the one
who finally gets to laugh at all of you
who think I’m crazy
When the Great Pumpkin comes
shining like the sun
I will choose forgiveness over vengeance
Okay maybe
Maybe not. 

Maybe I’ll come riding in with him 

in all his blazing orange greatness, 
And all the infidels will flee
or fall beneath our justice! 
And I’ll be laughing heartily 
as all the unbelievers cry, 
"Forgive us! Linus, please forgive us!" 

What’s that?

I must’ve taken a nap.
And now my head feels like crap,
and out over the horizon is... 

The sun

November first has begun
Another Halloween done 
with nothing left to show for it

But just you wait until next year, 

I’ll be waiting right back here 
And next year he will visit,
and next year you will pay!

[Chorus]

When the Great Pumpkin comes
I will be the one
who finally gets to laugh at all of you
who think I’m crazy
When the Great Pumpkin comes
shining like the sun
I will choose forgiveness over vengeance
Okay maybe
Wait and see..." 

Hope you had a Happy Halloween and a marvelous October. Halloween is never over in my world, but I hope to see most of you next year. Unless you stick around, then I will be glad to see you soon. :)

RTJ

P.S. Remember, if you like it, buy it at http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=2251.


No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...