Sunday, June 11, 2006

POPEYE FIGHTS TO THE FINISHK ON DVD! (PUNDITS CLAIM SPINACH-AIDED VICTORY)

POPEYE TO BE FINALLY RELEASED ON DVD

A couple months ago, I accused King Features Syndicate, the intellectual owner of Popeye, of cultural crimes for continuing to withhold the full slate of classic Max Fleischer Popeye shorts from being released on DVD, due to an ongoing decades-old dispute with Warner Bros., the studio which currently owns the rights to the library. Warners' has apparently been restoring the films in anticipation of a settlement in the case, and on Wednesday, June 9, 2006, a date that will ring loud and true in the hearts of cartoon fans for eternity, that time has come. The two entities have come to terms, Warners' kicks some serious ass, and now a complete Fleischer DVD boxed set of the Popeye series will be coming out sometime in 2007.

I'm sorry, that is all that I can write about it at one time. I can barely keep my fingers on the keys due to the fact that I keep floating up into the air with laughter. (Maybe I shouldn't write after I've seen part of Mary Poppins...)

Now, let's get to work on a definitive Betty Boop collection...

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...