Sunday, April 22, 2007

If One Sees Rodriguez & Tarantino's Latest At A Drive-In, Does That Make It A "Grind-Outhouse"?

I know, I know, I know! I promised that I would put up a post about Grindhouse a couple of weeks ago when it came out, but I have been delinquent in writing about it. OK, actually, not in writing about it, because I have been doing just that -- I just haven't posted anything about it yet. Why? The story keeps changing, you see...

Originally, I felt that a normal report on my reaction to my initial visit would be fine, but then before I had time to write it, I was interrupted by Jen's family thing, and then I ended up seeing the film again a couple days later. Then it seemed like I would spend my off-time at the think tank last week scratching it out in longhand (I do not possess a laptop and I was up at Big Bear), but my legal pad ended up empty as the think tank brainstorm sessions not only sapped every viable thought in my brain, but all of my extant energy as well.

Returning home, I thought "Well, now is the time to write about Grindhouse, but then I received an invitation from my friends Bostin and Jeff to attend a showing at a drive-in theatre this past Friday. Jen had to work, however, and Bostin and Jeff are in L.A., and I do not drive. As in, AT ALL. I suppose I could have MetroLinked and met them at the theatre somehow, but that would have met training and busing home after midnight, and this is something I am not yet comfortable with down here. So, I thanked them kindly but had to skip, but I did take the time to check out other drive-in showings, and it turns out that the Mission Tiki Drive-In (with 4, count 'em, 4 screens) in Montclair has 9:45pm showings through this week, so I talked Jen into going on either Wednesday or Thursday. It will mean coming home and napping after work, but I am cool with this. After all, I haven't been to a drive-in movie since I was about, oh, six or seven years old (and in Alaska, no less -- yes, we had drive-in theatres back in the day)!

So, if you are one of the minor few who are wondering what the hell I thought about the film, well, you shall just have to assume that since I am going for the third time in three weeks that I must have enjoyed it to some degree. And if you are one of those people who just don't get what all the fuss is about, or don't get the joke and complain about the scratches in the film or the missing reels, or stupidly walk out after Planet Terror not understanding that the film is supposed to be a double feature -- well, you are lost causes anyway, and the world can do without you just fine. Go rent Stepmom or RV again, and suck on the box.

Meanwhile, I will hopefully be going to the drive-in...

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...