Tuesday, May 08, 2007

If It Ain't Broke, Netflix It... (Addendum)

Friday afternoon, Raw Meat arrived in my mailbox for the second time. At the very least, it was nice to get a disc that one couldn't tell was already snapped in half by a couple of out-of-place lumps through the obviously too-thin Netflix packaging. Once I was inside my hovel, however, it was a different envelope full of shards entirely, as I opened up the mailer to discover that, yes, the movie was intact -- i.e. in one piece -- but there was a minute crack that started very small at the hole in the center of the disc and ran out about a half inch into the playable portion of the disc itself. Already knowing it was futile, I tried it out anyway in my player, and the tray simply skipped to the next disc each time that I tried to play Raw Meat.

The decision then, was to decide whether I should simply call for another copy to be zipped my way, thus burning more wait time on a single movie rather than jumping to the next title in my queue, or just calling the whole thing off on Raw Meat. I opted for the latter, figuring that the movie is cheap enough to buy on its own (MGM has it out in its discount line, usually under $10), and since I had seen the film before and enjoyed it, if I really want to check it out again, I might as well buy it. Or, at least, wait until Netflix comes up with some adamantium packaging that thwarts any attempt by the dastardly post office or clumsy Netflix employees to cheat me out of what I am owed through my paid membership. Plus, they had to ship this particular copy from Virginia, and it took a couple extra days for that, and I didn't want to end up waiting another whole week for one to arrive from the hub in Anchorage (which has already happened once).

To be fair, two other discs arrived that weren't cracked or split into bits -- one of which, Blade in the Dark, I wish had been, such was the headache it inspired in me. Hmmm, maybe sometimes its better if these movies do arrive broken to pieces...

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...