Saturday, June 14, 2008

There's A Little Gray Spot On My Blog Today...

...It's the same old thing as, well, the past week or so...

Somewhere, somehow, a large rectangle of grayness has splashed down on the Cinema 4 Pylon in the past ten days. If you are reading this on a PC, you probably won't see it. I have checked on about a half dozen computers at work, and it never shows up. But if you are looking on a Mac -- and I have checked on three different ones in this time, and it shows up on all of them -- then it's a different story. Since a large proportion of my personal friends and family use Macs, I am hoping that some of you out there can tell me what the hell is going on here.

If you glide down the Pylon homepage about three or four posts, you will encounter the aforementioned blot of gray, superimposed basically over about a paragraph or two of whatever post it is splotched over at that time. As I add new posts, the position of the blot on the blog changes, but since I didn't post for a couple of days over the weekend, it stayed fixed over one post in particular, for a good while. (Luckily, it only occurs on the homepage. If you click on the title of a post, it will not show up -- so far -- on the individual posting pages.) At first, I thought something had merely happened to the code in that post, so I grabbed the text and deleted the post. Once the post was gone though, the blot just jumped to the next higher post, meaning that the opening paragraph of my latest Spout review was getting trounced upon. I reposted the DVR post, and the blot moved back to its original position. At least I knew it wasn't the fault of any post, but now the question was: where the hell is this coming from?

A look at my layout HTML betrayed nothing to me, but then, I am not fully immersed in HTML-speak. And it definitely didn't show up as a result of my playing around with the layout, because except for tweaking the font size every now and then, I have not touched the layout for quite some time. Certainly, I have learned a lot about it in the past two years since I started working with Dreamweaver and even here on Blogger, but I am not fully confident that I can just remove something willy-nilly on the Pylon template and not screw up three years of diligent posting. I will probably have Raw Meat take a crack at it here in the coming week, if he is willing, but for now, after looking the template over for the umpteenth time, I have no answers.

And especially no answers from Blogger itself. I went to their immensely cluttered help area, and left a message on their Something Is Broken page, relating my frustration with this mass of gray blankness -- which grows ever larger in my mind every time I think about it, evolving slowly from a simple blot to a veritable blob in its destructive capability. To be able to leave this message, though, I had to subscribe to their email updates to the page. Couldn't they just send me an email automatically when some faceless tech-head finally responds to my query? Because now I have gotten four straight days of emails with nothing relating to my problems whatsoever, just endless answers to questions for which I care not a single iota. Assuredly, I am not holding my breath waiting for a resolution from this angle.

So, if one of my pals out there might have some advice, please toss it my way. It's not a major concern, but I have gotten a couple of emails asking me why I have a big gray rectangle hovering about the place. It would be nice to get this fixed up once and for all.

And I haven't even started on the weird shit that has happened on the Cinema 4: Cel Bloc...

[A footnote: Once I put this post up initially today, another gray spot showed up -- right smackdab in the middle of the post about this very problem. What perfect effing timing! Smiles, everyone...]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you checked your liver for spots too?

Rik Tod Johnson said...

Ha!

No, I haven't quite reached that age as of yet. Should be just around the corner though...

Seriously, dude. I thought you might be one of the MFers that could help me. I guess you did in a way, reminding me of my own mortality and all.

Hey, what the hell's that on the back of my hand? Oy...

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of spots on a webpage. On top of it all, i don't see it, and i've looked at your page with at least three different computers on internet explorer. Not saying that you're crazy, but i can't help if i can't detect a problem.

Rik Tod Johnson said...

Internet Explorer? What's that?

No, this is only on Firefox and Safari. Upon the half dozen or so PCs at work I have checked it on (all on IE, actually), it looks fine. It's just on my Mac and the two Macs at work.

We're going to dig into the HTML here in a couple of days and see if Blogger is throwing some wayward code into the template.

Later!

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...