Monday, September 13, 2010

Flickchart Comment #15: Ghostbusters (1984) vs. Back to the Future (1985)


Wow. Exactly why Flickchart was created, to decide such weighty matters. For me, both films loomed so largely in my early '20s, and both films have stuck with me through the past two decades. Even so, there is a clear winner for me: Ghostbusters.

Not only do I still quote roughly a dozen or so lines from it quite regularly (compared to about three from Future), but I can still chart how I felt about it then and how I feel now from the replay factor alone. While I saw Future four times in its original run, I saw Ghostbusters SIX freaking times its opening weekend. I also had a lot of the merchandise - posters, stickers, toys, shirts, etc. (still have all that, actually). I've also owned three VHS and two DVD editions of Ghostbusters, and I have yet to make the leap from tape to disc for Back to the Future. (I really should get on that...) 

When, you come down to it, it's pretty clear, McFly, who the winner is for me...

No comments:

The 50 Something or Other Songs of 2017: Part 2

In our last exciting episode, I reviewed tracks 50 through 31 on Rolling Stone's list of the Best 50 Songs of 2017 . How did those ...